2. Amenities - Then and Now
At different times during the nineteenth century there were two beer houses and two inns in the Feock village area. One beer house was opposite the old post office at La Feock (the upper area of Feock village) and the other was in the thatched cottage attached to the former general stores in Feock Churchtown.
As their name suggests, beer houses served mainly beer but not spirits, whereas inns were licensed for a wider range of alcoholic drinks and also provided accommodation. Of the two inns in the Feock area, one was situated at the landward end of the mineral quay at Pill Creek beside the innkeeper's cottage. In 1812 this inn was advertised for sale in the Royal Cornwall Gazette as “established more than fifty years, landlady Mrs Philippa Jacks”, so the property dates back at least to the 1760s.
The mineral quay at Pill Creek was built in 1765 for the shipment of copper ore to South Wales and for the import of coal for the mines at Gwennap. The inn was well‑placed to quench the thirst of the workers loading and unloading hundreds of pannier mules arriving at the quay. However, in 1826 the new and more efficient railway from the mines to Devoran on Restronguet Creek was completed, taking the ore trade away from Pill Creek and much of the custom from the inn. Today the inn and the innkeeper’s cottage survive as private houses.
The other inn, now a private dwelling known as Greenbank, was located in the upper part of the village at Lane End, La Feock. Its name was The Red, White and Blue and was known locally as “The RWB”. Later it was renamed The New Inn. The railway men from Devoran used to come by boat to Yard Beach between Penpol and Harcourt and then walk across the fields to reach it.
In the 1871 census the innkeeper is given as John Green, aged forty‑one, with wife Mary and five children, including a five year old son, Edward. According to the local Kelly’s Directory, by 1910 Edward had become the innkeeper and by 1919 he was the owner of both The Punchbowl and Ladle in Penelewey and The New Inn, both on part‑time licenses. He proposed to the authorities that he relinquish the license for The New Inn in return for a full-time license for The Punchbowl and Ladle. On the 5th March 1919 the Royal Cornwall Gazette announced the granting of a full‑time licence to The Punchbowl and Ladle and The New Inn then closed.
There was a small shop there after this time but the premises never again became an inn. The great grandson of John Green, Mr Jim Green, lives locally at Porth Kea.(TR, using Feock Local History Group, Feock: Some Aspects of Local History, Part 1, 1973; and The Fal Local History Group, History Around the Fal.)
In 1983 Feock
school closed and more recently the village shop, garden society and
post office have also closed. More recently the shop at Four Turnings
has closed, leaving the area without a retail food facility. The social
life of the village has suffered to some extent but the formation of
the weekly coffee morning in the Church Hall is considered to be a
The St Feock Reading Room owned by the Parish Council is leased to the club members for residents of all ages. It provides facilities for the playing of billiards, snooker and table tennis. The CCC mobile library provides an excellent and regular service.