APPENDIX


A Guide for Cornish Hedge construction.

Acknowledgements.

Listed Buildings.



A Guide for Cornish Hedge Construction

A hedge is built to a sequence of rows ... Preference is given to the local style of hedge.

Where within the site or project an existing hedge is demolished, its stones and fill are the primary material source for the new hedge. The width of the base of a new hedge is equal to its height; and the width of the top of the hedge is equal to half its base.

If trees, excepting thorns, are to be planted on the hedge, these top and bottom widths may [each be] increased by one metre. A new hedge is 1.37m (4ft 6in) in height from bottom of grounders to the top of the last stone course, or from ground level to hedge top. For repairs, existing material is used, with extra stones and fills if needed. Gaps are cleared down to existing sound hedge structure without disturbing stones or causing an avalanche. Tunnels are located and filled. The fill for new Cornish hedges is of damp granular or clay-shaley subsoil type (e.g. rab, growan, shillet) without peat, leaf-mould or other vegetable matter, rammed hard in 100mm (4in) layers. Proper compaction is essential. A working space 1m wide is kept along the hedge.

Each row of stone is smaller than the row below. Stones are laid with the longest face running inwards into the hedge.

All rows are straight and are horizontal or follow the average run of the ground. No vertical joint extends for more than two rows. All overlaps are more than one quarter of the running length of the stone excepting slate which is laid with each row interlocking with that below.

Every stone is laid interlocking with the stones alongside and with the rows below and above, with no gaps. All stones are laid direct stone‑on‑stone. All stones are load bearing and so laid as to be incapable of individual extraction.

A row of projecting stones may be laid below the top course as coping stones to deter sheep or deer. No other stones protrude beyond the line of hedge.

Trigging (wedging a stone with a small one) is kept to a minimum, at the back only and no stone is trigged twice. Hard stone, not fill, is used for trigging. The fill contains less than one-tenth of stones exceeding 25mm. [T]he stonier part of the fill [is] left in the middle and well‑rammed.

For new rural hedges, a layer of rabbit-proof plastic covered wire netting may be laid on the rab across the hedge top under the top course of stone.

Topping off

[The] fill-top is domed so the centre height above the top course is one-quarter of the width of the hedge top.

Extra turf, [150mm (6in) thick,] may be taken from [the] foot of [the] hedge or [from] nearby scrub and placed securely on [the] hedge top. The turf is beaten down to consolidate [it] and is covered with soil, leaving a 150mm (6in) strip of grass each side.

Some hedgers place the turf grass-side down to stop the grass drying out. This is also done if thorns or trees are planted on the hedge top.

In repairing gaps, nearby thorn growth is layered across [a] gap before turf is put on.

Planting

If the top of the hedge is planted with hawthorn and/or blackthorn, the plants [should be 30 to 40]cm tall, transplanted 1+1 or pot-grown and planted [in winter] 400mm (16in) apart in one row through the turf, then pruned to 200mm (8in).

Clearing up

To encourage wildlife in rural hedges, small pieces of turf the size of a golf ball are rammed into crevices every third row upwards and the same distance apart along the length of the new [hedge] work. Remaining fill and soil is levelled off and the site left tidy. The curved batter acts like a stone arch on its side, [stopping] the hedge‑sides from bulging out and falling down.

(All from The Code of Good Practice at http://www.cornishhedges.co.uk)

top

Acknowledgements

The following organisations and individuals are acknowledged for their valuable assistance with the production of this Statement: Feock Parish Council; GENUKI; Bob Acton (BA); Viv Acton; Ray Archer; Richard Belling (RB); Alun Davies; Tony Dyson; Brian Ferris (BF); Peter Mansfield; Colin North (CN); Tom Rouncefield Jnr.; Barry Simpson; Peter Tremewan (PT) and Craig Weatherhill .

The following are also acknowledged for their valuable advice:

Mr Richard Fish, Director, CCC Planning, Transportation and Estates Mr Andrew Goodman, CCC County Ecologist Mr Nicholas Johnson, CCC Historic Environment Manager Mr James Macfarlane, CCC Vegetation Advisor Mr Peter Tatlow, CCC Divisional Surveyor Mr Alan Truan, Clerk and Treasurer, Feock Parish Council Mr Roger Covey, Maritime Conservation Officer, English Nature Mr Phil Dyke, Property Manager, Fal and Mid-Cornwall Office, National Trust Mr J. Anthony Dyson, Restronguet Creek Society Mr Paul Walton, Cornwall AONB Partnership Manager Mrs Gill Wilson, Carrick District Councillor and local resident Mr Martin Northern, Senior Case Officer, CDC Captain Andy Brigden, CDC Harbourmaster Mr Geoff Gilbert, Western Power, Redruth East Mr Derek Hannaford, BT Engineering Mr Stuart Nicholls, BT Planning Manager Mr Ray Jervis, Transco

top

Listed buildings in the surrounding area

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/QuickResults/Default.aspx

A Basic Search for 'Feock' found 78 Listed buildings, listed within the area of Feock, (within the search box type “Feock”).

In addition to the details of the listings,

  • the English Heritage, National Monuments record, Images of England.
  • the name of the photographer
  • the date of the photograph
  • the date listed,
  • the date of last amendment
  • and the Grade of listing.
Listed buildings, within the Proximity of Feock proper,
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/55 Bosankos Cottage GV II Small house. Circa late C18. Painted slatestone rubble and cob. Wooden lin......
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/54 Ferris Cottage GV II Small house formerly for estate gardener. C18. Painted stone rubble and cob. As......
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/53 Milestone at SW 838 395 NW GV II Milestone. Circa early C19. Granite monolith. Round-headed, rect.
KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/56 Quay Cottage GV II Small house. C18 and extended circa mid-C19. Slatestone rubble walls. Scantle s......
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/57 Quay to east and south of Quay Cottage and by King Harry Ferry GV ......
SW 83 NW FEOCK LA FEOCK, Feock 4/60 The Old Post Office GV II House. Circa late C17, remodelled circa mid C18 and aga......

The following buildings shall be added to the list: FEOCK WELLINGTON PLANTATION, SW 84 SW Penelewey 2/309 Frogmor......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/24 Barn at approx 85m north west of Trelissick House GV II Barn. ...
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/40 Church of Saint Feock 30.5.67 GV 11* Parish church. Completely rebuilt 1875-6 incorporating C15 windows, arcade an......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/23 Cottage at approx 75m west of Trelissick House GV II Estate cot......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/41 Cross at approx 5m south of Church of Saint Feock 30.5.67 GV II Cross....
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/3 Exmouth Cottage and adjoining house GV II Small house with adjoining house, formerly estate cottages. Circa early-mid C19. Slatest......
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/13 Forge at approx 10m west of Sandoes GV II Forge now garage and store. Circa aid-late C19. Painted slatestone rubble and some cob......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/20 Game larder at approx 20m to rear of Trelissick House GV II Gam......
SW 83 NW FEOCK HARCOURT 4/48 Harcourt Old Farmhouse and garden wall with gate-piers to north ......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/38 Kyolas GV II Small house. Circa early C18, remodelled early/mid C18 and extended C20 to south west. Painted sl.....
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/44 Lych gate at north west of Church Saint Feock GV II Lych gate. Circa 19.......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/43 Lych gate south of Church of Saint Feock GV II Lych gate. Circa ea......
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/5 Marble Head Quay GV II Quay. 1783. Vertically-set dry slatestone rubble walls with some granite quoins. Rectangular walled area
SW 7939 FEOCK 7/7 Milestone at SW 795 397 NE GV II Milestone. Probably C18. Granite monolith. Rectangular on plan. Round-headed with inscription i......
SW 84 SW FEOCK 2/6 Milestone at SW 805 409 NW II Milestone probably C18. Granite monolith. Rectangular on plan. Round-headed with inscription in i......
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/8 Milestone at SW 818 393 NW II Milestone. C18. Granite monolith. Rectangular on plan. Round-headed with crudely incised insc......
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/9 Milestone at SW 823 393 NW GV II Milestone. Circa early C19. Granite monolith. Rectangular on plan but flush built into vertically......
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/11 Porthgwidden Clock house and courtyard and kitchen garden walls II Coach-house, sta......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/39 Rose Cottage, garden wall and gate GV II Small house front garden wall and gate. Early to mid C18 extended C20
SW 83 NW FEOCK 4/12 Sandoes, formerly Sandoes Gate and garden wall to south GV II Small house and......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/22 Stable block at approx 50m north west of Trelissick House GV II
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/25 The Barn at approx 70m north west of Trelissick House GV II Ban......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/21 The Coach House and Stable Block at Trelissick House GV II Coac......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/28 The Keeper's Cottage, walls and fence to front GV II Estate cot...
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/26 The kitchen garden walls at about 75m north of Trelissick House GV I......
In the entry for FEOCK HIGHER TREVILLA SW 83 NW The Manor Pound 4/50 II G.V. the description shall be amended to read Pound......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/31 The New Lodge building to east adjoining wall and gate-piers. GV II ......  
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/30 The Old Lodge GV II Estate lodge. Circa 1825. Stucco. Scantle slate roof, hipped to north and south and with......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/37 The Old School GV II National School, now private house. 1846 (Preliminary Statement of 1853, CRO). By Pears......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/27 The Water Tower GV II Water tower now converted to living accommodation. Circa early C19, remodelled circa ......
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/42 Tower of Church of Saint Feock GV II Detached church tower. Circa C13 restored and re-roofed circa 1875 by Pier......
SW 84 SW FEOCK 2/33 Tregye, The Duchy Grammar School II Country house, now used as school. 1809. Built for William Penrose, extended and remodelle......
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/19 Trelissick House and walls 28.2.52 . surrounding GV II* Large country hou......
SW 83 NW FEOCK HIGHER TREVILLA 4/52 Trevilla Cottage, once called Penhale Farm GV II Farmhouse......
SW 83 NW FEOCK HIGHER TREVILLA 4/49 Vine Cottage II House. Circa C17, remodelled C18 and early C19. Painted slatestone and cob with re......
SW 83 NW FEOCK. FEOCK 4/40 Church of Saint Feock 30.5.67 GV 11* Parish church. Completely rebuilt 1875-6 incorporating C15 windows, arcade and doorways. For The Reverend Thomas Philpotts by Piers St Aubyn. Killas rubble brought to course, granite copings, windows and weatherings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, shaped clay ridge tiles and cross finials over cruciform gablets. Nave, chancel (under 1 roof), short north aisle, south aisle and south porch. North wall of nave incorporates circa C16 flat-headed window with trefoils, to right (west). North aisle has reused C l5 Perpendicular window to far left, otherwise C l9 windows in Perpendicular style. North wall of chancel is blind. Chancel east window is C19 3-light freestone in Perpendicular style. South window, partly obscured by C20 flat roofed vestry in angle between chancel and south aisle, is C19, 2-light. South aisle and porch are rebuilt almost to the same design as the pre 1875 building incorporating C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows, 1 to left of porch, 3 to right of porch and 1 to east end. West windows, 3-light to south aisle and 4-light to nave are C19 copies in granite of original C15 Perpendicular windows. Porch has C15 4-centred arched moulded granite doorframe. Interior has C l5 standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade of 5-bays between nave and south aisle with 4-centred arches with cavetto and ovolo intrados mouldings over coved capitals. Roof structures, of pitch pine, are arch braced with angled struts over collar and wind braces. Chancel roof has painted decoration. Squint between south aisle and chancel. 2-bay C19 arcade between nave and north aisle and C19 doorway with 4-centred arch over stiff leaf corbels between chancel and north aisle. Reredos, given by The Reverend Philpotts and based on ones he had seen in Florence, has crocketted pinnacles over battlements with cusped ogee arch to centre and flanking pointed arched panels with the 10 commandments. Piscina with cusped arch and hoodmould in chancel south wall. Several memorial windows of coloured glass. The east window, by de Morgan of London, on the theme “thy brother shall rise again”, was given by the Misses Philpott in memory of their brother. Fittings include: Norman font of Catecleuse stone with trees of life panels decorating round bowl overturned shaft with cable moulding on round base; painted coat of arms of Charles 1 1638; polygonal pulpit incorporating carved Flemish Rennaissance panels circa late C l7; low alabaster chancel screen (given by The Reverend Philpotts); simple pitch pine pews with shaped ends, and stocks in porch with 7 holes to provide alternative use as pillory. Monument of marble with vase and torches to William Penrose of Tregie, d. 1838. Historical information from The Church Guide by The Reverend E.J. Saunders.
(English Heritage, 2007- All Rights reserved. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk).
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/44 Lych gate at north west of Church Saint Feock
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/44 Lych gate at north west of Church Saint Feock GV II Lych gate. Circa 1900. Erected as a memorial to Thomas Philpotts, MA., Vicar of the parish from 1844 to 1874. Granite walls. Dry Delabole slate roof with projecting eaves and verges. Pierced arcaded clay ridge tiles with central cruciform finial. Square on plan with side walls. Side walls have moulded granite jambs with engaged shafts surmounted by moulded corbelled kneelers. Interior has granite side benches and central coffin shaped coffin rest.
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/42 Tower of Church of Saint Feock GV II
Detached church tower. Circa C13 restored and re-roofed circa 1875 by Piers St Aubyn. Slatestone rubble with some granite quoins. Pyramidal dry Delabole slate roof with cross finial. Square on plan. Bell storey over basement. Orginal simple pointed arched doorway to ground floor east. Small slate louvered ventilator to each side of bell storey. C19 coved granite eaves cornice. Interior has 3 bells thought to be cast with metal from 1 large Medieval bell. C19 timber work. The tower, it has been suggested, was built separate and at a higher level than the church so that it could be used as a look-out over Carrick Roads of the River Fal. This view now blocked by trees. Information from the Church Guide by The Reverend E. J. Saunders.
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/19 Trelissick House and walls 28.2.52 . surrounding GV II* Large country house and associated walling. Circa 1750 for John Laurence by the architect Davey (grandfather of Sir Humphrey Davey). Largely remodelled and extended during the 1820's for Thomas Daniell. Further extended later C19. Stucco over stone rubble and brick to south and west fronts. Hipped dry Delabole slate roofs above parapets with stuccoed brick chimneys over partition and side walls. Plan was probably originally a 2-rooms wide double depth house, surviving within and to rear (north) of south portico. Single storey wings added early C19 to left (east) and right (west) of original house, plus left-band side entrance front (west) and front (south) porticos. Wings later heightened and further wing added to north of west front and service wings to rear (later partly demolished). Finally solarium to right (east) of south front rebuilt in present from circa 1930's. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical south front is 3:5:3 bays plus 3-bay solarium to right. Wings flanking portico west front have plinth, wide string, moulded window architraves, moulded cornice with egg and dart enrichment and plain parapet. Windows are sashes with glazing bars to first floor sashes. Giant hexastyle Ionic portico screens recessed 5-window front of original house at
lower level. Wide 12-light roof dormer behind portico is circa 1900 alteration for billard room. Small flanking dormers. Solarium has central Ionic doorway. West entrance front is 3:3:2 bays, each group of bays being broken forward from the left. Tetra style Doric portico, with fluted columns and triglyphs to frieze, stands before middle group of bays, Windows are horned 12-pane sashes except 2 early C19 windows with crown glass flanking doorway within portico. 4 roof dormers with pediments. Interior has wealth of early and later C19 panelling, oak and mahogany doors, window shutters, plaster ceiling cornices and bands. West entrance hall has panelled walls and plastered ceiling divided into 6 panels with 2 shell roses. Doorway leading from entrance hall to stair hall is flanked by 2 Doric columns. Oak panelled stair hall with lantern over has open-well open-string stair with iron balusters, some with trailing vine and rose decoration. Guilloche moulded bands under stair, and fine plaster ceiling cornices, with that under lantern enriched with egg and dart. Stair hall is probably within walls of rear rooms of original C18 house. Front rooms of original house adjoin but remodelled in early C19 with dado panelling to both rooms. West room has acanthus cornice and trailing harvest ceiling band. Marble fireplace surround may be reused from C18. New library, formerly dining room, to east of original house, has chimney piece and door cases with enriched pulvinated friezes, cornices with dentils and other detail all in mid-C18 style possibly inspired by original decoration that had survived in the C18 house until then. Drawing room to west of original house has much fine detail including deeply coved cornice and band, mahogany doors with fluted friezes over, and fine marble chimney piece with caryatids. Circa 1880 silk coverings with stylized plant design within panels surrounding room. Library, to north of entrance hall has deeply coved ceiling with double tiers of acanthus leaves, and bead decoration to window shutter panels. Further good detail to first floor rooms. Room over west room of original house and adjoining dressing room have possibly original mid C18 ceiling cornices and therefore retain evidence of the original plan of the house ie. with entrance passage originally under the dressing room. Adjoining granite coped walling surrounding rear service area and low coped walls before front. Much historical and other information kindly supplied by Mr Copeland, present occupier. Trelissick is a complicated house with accretions cunningly absorbed to give the appearance of being original and of one period. Very complete early C19 interiors.
 SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/31 The New Lodge building to east adjoining wall and gate-piers. GV II East lodge, building to east adjoining walls and gate-piers with gate. Circa 1860. Slatestone walls with freestone and granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with pierced clay ridge tiles and finials, half-hipped to east and west and polygonal to south wing projecting eaves. External lateral gabled stacks to north wall and east wall of south wing with grouped and linked round shafts. Irregular 3-room T-plan with integral lean-to porch in south west angle. High Victorian gothic style. 2 storeys. South front has projecting central wing with canted front and polygonal roof with partly slate-hung gable over 2 shouldered arch lights to first floor window. The 3 ground floor 2-light windows have string course above which continues around sides. The right-hand side has large lateral stack with set-offs, 3 round shafts and oven at base. The left-hand side has porch in angle, with arched doorway; its roof is carried down from main roof and supported on corbel over a weathered buttress. The left and right-hand ends and rear of main range have stone mullion windows and rear wall has another similar lateral stack. Interior not inspected. Building to east for fuel store and earth closet has hipped scantle slate roof. Adjoining walling encloses courtyard to rear of lodge and is linked to estate boundary wall with carriage entrance to south west of lodge. Granite copings. Gateway has square-on-plan granite monolith piers with stopped chamfers and caps with sloping sides and flat square bases to centre presumably for statues.
SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK 4/27 The Water Tower GV II Water tower now converted to living accommodation. Circa early C19, remodelled circa mid-late C19 and circa 1970’s. Slatestone rubble with brick eaves cornices and 2 linked conical dry Delabole slate roofs with finial over smaller roof and weathervane over main roof. Plan of round water tower with round stair turret, probably a later addition, attached to east side. 3 storeys over basement plus attic. Stone walls appear to have been heightened probably mid-late C19. Original pointed arched doorway to south east beside stair turret. Original slit window openings to east side of stair turret. Windows of main tower are circa 1970’s enlargements or insertions. Except for slit window to south all windows are sashes in Gothick style with intersecting glazing bars. Interior not inspected.
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK 4/37 The Old School GV II National School, now private house. 1846 (Preliminary Statement of 1853, CR0). By Pearson. Extended later C19 in 2 phases. Slatestone rubble with granite quoins, copings and dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabo le slate roofs with coped gable ends, formerly partly roofed with double Roman tiles. Tudor style. Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to right (north) of (east) front end, with adjoining entrance porch with bellcote in angle and projecting to front, then schoolroom and classroom extension to right (north) parallel to original schoolroom with small open courtyard to rear, and finally a classroom built over this courtyard. Single storey. East front: left and right 2 gable ends of projecting cross wings with entrance porch with bellcote over projecting slightly to left of centre and attached to left-hand wing. Right-hand gable end dressed stonework is probably reused from original north gable of schoolroom. Each of these gables has plinth, central 4-light steeped gable, slit ventilator with slate Iouvres over,corbelled kneeler courses and cruciform gabletted finial. Porch gable surmounted by original granite ashlar bellcote with steep weatherings has 4-centred, moulded doorway with stepped hoodmould enclosing shield, and plaque with round border over. Original single light window to north wall of porch and 2-light window to east wall of original classroom. Other windows in similar style except 1985 conservatory to left-hand (south) side wall. Interior remodelled 1985 but retaining arch braced roof structure. Average number of children in 1852 was 51 boys and 1girl. (Preliminary Statement 1853). The design of this school is similar to Devoran Primary School, qv., also by Pearson
SW 83 NW FEOCK LA FEOCK, Feock 4/60 The Old Post Office GV II House. Circa late C17, remodelled circa mid C18 and again late C18 as cottage and house. Painted and roughly rendered undulating cob walls. Wheat-reed thatched roof with brick chimneys; 1 axial stack and adjoining lateral stack to original rear walls and chimneys over gable ends. 3-room through passage plan with thick outer walls and circa late C18 rear outshut. 2 storeys. 3-window north front. All windows are circa late C18 20- or 15-pane sashes with mostly original crown glass. Original doorway with ledged door to second from left ground floor opening. Third opening was central doorway of first remodelling. Fourth opening, part of original wide hall window, is doorway of circa late C18. Remodelling, with ledged door. Slate sills. Wooden lintels plastered over. Rear outshoot sweeps very low. Interior has original chamfered oak or elm beams surviving to east and west rooms. East room used to have oven but hearth survives. All hearths partly blocked. Late C19 cast iron range to middle room. 2 first floor windows ie over original hall (middle) and to west room were originally wider. Circa late C18 pine roof structure with lapped and pegged collars and apices. Unusual use of vertical-hung sashes on such a modest house, and rare that a complete fenestration of such sashes survives from the late C18.( English Heritage).
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/57 Quay to east and south of Quay Cottage and by King Harry Ferry GV II Quay. C18. Slatestone rubble with iron stapled granite copings and granite steps. Quay walling to north, east and south of roughly rectangular landing area. Battered vertically-set dry stone walling with horizontally walling by C19 steps in angle to south. Post, rail and dowel wooden fencing above copings. Situated on the shore of King Harry Passage on the River Fal.IoENumber: 63319
SW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/54 Ferris Cottage GVllSW 83 NW FEOCK KING HARRY PASSAGE 4/54 Ferris Cottage GV II Small house formerly for estate gardener. C l8. Painted stone rubble and cob. Asbestos slate roof, formerly thatched, with brick chimneys over gable ends. 2-room plan with the right-hand room larger, plus later lean-to at east end. 2 storeys. Slightly irregular 3-window south front with wider ground floor windows and wide doorway, with 4-panel door, off-centre to left. Lean-to, right, has doorway to left. Windows are C 20 12-pane 2-light casements. Eaves raised circa late C19. Interior is much renewed with C20 floor and circa late Cl 9 roof structure. Situated overlooking King Harry Passage on the River Fal. Included for group value.   IoE number 63329


top