4. The Surrounding Area
Whilst The Point has only been developed over the last fifty years or so and contains few buildings of quality, the village of Feock is rich in listed buildings and has experienced dramatic changes over the centuries.
Oyster Boats are a beautiful sight as they sail back and forth in the winter when the oyster beds are being dredged. It has been recorded that in a good season, a fleet of thirty to forty can be working in this area and around Restronguet Point.
The Parish of Feock
.The parish of Feock (Cornish: Lannfiek) is situated on the river Fal, in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Kea, on the east by the River Fal, which separates it from St Just-in-Roseland and Philleigh, on the south by Restronguet Creek, which separates it from Mylor, and on the west by Perranarworthal. The name of the parish is based on the name of a saint, Fioc or Feoca, about whom little is known. There is a local tradition the saint lived in a small hut near a well in the area named La Feock. .
The area is well‑served by the Quaker Meeting House at Come-to-Good, previously at Penelewy Barton (BF); the Methodist chapels at Goonpiper and Penpol; and St Feock Parish Church and church hall. Unusually, the church’s thirteenth-century tower is separate from its main body.
To the west of Feock is Trelissick House and its extensive gardens, now owned by the National Trust. A little village in this parish is named Come-to-Good; here was established the first meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in this part of Cornwall. The parish of Devoran was formed from part of this parish in 1873. The main villages in the parish were Devoran (which transferred when it became a separate parish), the Churchtown, Pill, La Feock (or La Vague), Trevella, and King Harry
(ww.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Genuki), (http://Feock/ )
closed and more recently the village shop, and post office have also
closed. More recently the shop at Four Turnings has closed, leaving the
area without a retail food facility. The nearest being at Quickstop,
Playing Place, two and a half miles from Feock and and Carnon Downs
some three and a half miles from the village. The social life of the
village has suffered to some extent but the formation of the weekly
coffee morning in the Church Hall is considered to be a community
success. The nearest Public House, the Punchbowl and Ladle is located
some two miles from the village.
The St Feock Reading Room owned by the Parish Council is leased to the club members for residents of all ages. It provides facilities for the playing of billiards, snooker and table tennis. The CCC mobile library provides an excellent and regular service.
7000 residents are required to support a pub and post office.
(Richard Simmons, CABE Chief Executive, July 2005)
The parish comprises 2947 acres of land, 16 acres of water, 42 acres of tidal water and 306 acres of foreshore.
Notable Buildings and features
A Basic Search for 'Feock' found 78 Listed buildings, listed within the area of Feock,(See Appendix)
The Parish Church of Saint Feock
Parish church. Completely rebuilt 1875-6 incorporating C15 windows, arcade and doorways. For The Reverend Thomas Philpotts by Piers St Aubyn. Killas rubble brought to course, granite copings, windows and weatherings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, shaped clay ridge tiles and cross finials over cruciform gablets. Nave, chancel (under 1 roof), short north aisle, south aisle and south porch. North wall of nave incorporates circa C16 flat-headed window with trefoils, to right (west). North aisle has reused C l5 Perpendicular window to far left, otherwise C l9 windows in Perpendicular style. North wall of chancel is blind. Chancel east window is C19 3-light freestone in Perpendicular style. South window, partly obscured by C20 flat roofed vestry in angle between chancel and south aisle, is C19, 2-light. South aisle and porch are rebuilt almost to the same design as the pre 1875 building incorporating C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows, 1 to left of porch, 3 to right of porch and 1 to east end. West windows, 3-light to south aisle and 4-light to nave are C19 copies in granite of original C15 Perpendicular windows. Porch has C15 4-centred arched moulded granite doorframe. Interior has C l5 standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade of 5-bays between nave and south aisle with 4-centred arches with cavetto and ovolo intrados mouldings over coved capitals. Roof structures, of pitch pine, are arch braced with angled struts over collar and wind braces. Chancel roof has painted decoration. Squint between south aisle and chancel. 2-bay C19 arcade between nave and north aisle and C19 doorway with 4-centred arch over stiff leaf corbels between chancel and north aisle. Reredos, given by The Reverend Philpotts and based on ones he had seen in Florence, has crocketted pinnacles over battlements with cusped ogee arch to centre and flanking pointed arched panels with the 10 commandments. Piscina with cusped arch and hoodmould in chancel south wall. Several memorial windows of coloured glass. The east window, by de Morgan of London, on the theme “thy brother shall rise again”, was given by the Misses Philpott in memory of their brother. Fittings include: Norman font of Catecleuse stone with trees of life panels decorating round bowl overturned shaft with cable moulding on round base; painted coat of arms of Charles 1 1638; polygonal pulpit incorporating carved Flemish Rennaissance panels circa late C l7; low alabaster chancel screen (given by The Reverend Philpotts); simple pitch pine pews with shaped ends, and stocks in porch with 7 holes to provide alternative use as pillory. Monument of marble with vase and torches to William Penrose of Tregie, d. 1838. Historical information from The Church Guide by The Reverend E.J. Saunders.
(English Heritage, 2007- All Rights reserved. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk).
Lych Gate at north west of Church of Saint Feock, Feock.
The tower is detached from the church, and stands on an eminence several yards to the west of it. The tower has a pyramidal roof of slate, and contains three bells.
The tower, it has been suggested, was built separate and at a higher level than the church so that it could be used as a look-out over Carrick Roads of the River Fal. This view now blocked by trees. Information from the Church Guide by The Reverend E. J. Saunders.
The Methodist Chapel at Goonpiper
John Wesley first visited Cornwall in 1743. Some forty years later Methodists, perhaps calling themselves Wesleyans, were holding meetings in a house at Sandoes Gate that is on the road from Four Turnings to King Harry Ferry. This society, named as Feock, was first noted on the Redruth Circuit Register in 1784. “A house, described as having been lately erected by Robert Shepherd was registered as a meeting house in the names of Charles Thomas, Thomas Cornish and Hannibel Edwards on 4th April, 1807.”
No further information on the location of the property is given at this time but in 1819 the name Sanders Gate disappears and the original name Feock re-appears with 42 members.
It is possible that two different names were in use for the one society or less likely, two societies were in existence in Feock over a period of time. However, in 1819 a building, now described as a chapel, was registered by Francis Truscott of Truro and a year later the ground was leased to Trustees at a rent of 8 shillings (presumably per annum) for the use of Methodist people. A small meeting house was built and it is a matter of conjecture whether this refers to the present site at Goonpiper.
Forty years later, a lease for land at Goonpiper was drawn up by J.S. Enys and Dorothea Gilbert for a term of 99 years on lives for a ground rent of £1 per annum payable to Trelissick Estate. The land was for the use of people called Methodists in the Connexion established by the Rev. John Wesley in accordance with the Wesleyan Model Deed of 1832. put towards making alterations so that the roof was lowered and the gallery removed. The total cost of this work was £300.
At the beginning of the Great World War in 1914 the membership of the Society was reduced to seven but soon after the war in 1921, when the membership had risen to 19 the freehold of the land was bought from Trelissick Estate for £15. The faith shown by the members when taking this step was justified in the following years for it is noted that the Church became very much more active and after the amalgamation of the non-conformist societies in 1932 the premises came under the new Methodist Model Deed. The life and faith of the Society is illustrated again in 1937 when the chapel was extensively renovated and electricity installed, at a cost of £240. By the end of the second World War the membership had risen to 50 and the collections ‘were over £1 per Sunday’. The spiritual development of the Church continued throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s and many’ will recall with gratitude the Wesley Guild, started in 1938 and the flourishing Sunday School.
Meanwhile the facilities of the chapel were improved, in particular, in 1950 with the installation of a new pipe organ and in 1951 the building of new toilets. Then in 1962 the old stable was converted into a kitchen and three years after the school yard was made into a car park. During the next thirty years improvements included the installation of oil-fired heating, the replacement of the pews with those from Chilli Road Chapel, Iliogan, redesign of the entrance lobby and complete redecoration of the interior of the chapel, the placing of a new communion rail and cross in the chapel and the installation of an amplification and recording system, and lastly, in 1996 the opening of a new toilet block together with an enlarged kitchen.
Throughout the history of the Feock Methodist Church it has been the generous donations of members and adherents, frequently in memory of a loved one, and the voluntary labour of members of the congregation which has sustained it. The list of works, carried out to meet the changing needs and expectations of society at the time is surely a representation of the continuing vigour and witness of the Methodist Society in Feock and a clear indication of their determination to sustain the vision and endeavour started some two hundred years ago.
(Reprinted from “A history of the Methodist Society in Feock, 1996”).
The Society of Friends Meeting House
From 1653 Friends used Walter Stephen’s house in Feock (still standing in 1999). His son John then allowed them to use a building in poor repair at Come-to-Good until 1710, when the new building opened. It was discontinued in 1795, re-opened 1815 to 1821, and re-opened again in 1946.
The Friends' Meeting House is still in use. A beautifully, simple and quiet location to sit and contemplate. I have failed to find a listing record.
The ‘House of Friends’ has roofed space for the worshippers’ steeds.
The exterior is as charming as the best of meeting houses and features thatch, whitewash and leaded windows. The interior is simplicity itself and, even when empty, has a touching tranquillity.
There are several Quaker meeting Houses in Cornwall
TRELISSICK HOUSE and walls 28.2.52 . surrounding GV II* Large country house and associated walling. Circa 1750 for John Laurence by the architect Davey (grandfather of Sir Humphrey Davey). Largely remodelled and extended during the 1820's for Thomas Daniell. Further extended later C19. Stucco over stone rubble and brick to south and west fronts. Hipped dry Delabole slate roofs above parapets with stuccoed brick chimneys over partition and side walls. Plan was probably originally a 2-rooms wide double depth house, surviving within and to rear (north) of south portico. Single storey wings added early C19 to left (east) and right (west) of original house, plus left-band side entrance front (west) and front (south) porticos. Wings later heightened and further wing added to north of west front and service wings to rear (later partly demolished). Finally solarium to right (east) of south front rebuilt in present from circa 1930's. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical south front is 3:5:3 bays plus 3-bay solarium to right. Wings flanking portico west front have plinth, wide string, moulded window architraves, moulded cornice with egg and dart enrichment and plain parapet. Windows are sashes with glazing bars to first floor sashes. Giant hexastyle Ionic portico screens recessed 5-window front of original house at
lower level. Wide 12-light roof dormer behind portico is circa 1900 alteration for billard room. Small flanking dormers. Solarium has central Ionic doorway. West entrance front is 3:3:2 bays, each group of bays being broken forward from the left. Tetra style Doric portico, with fluted columns and triglyphs to frieze, stands before middle group of bays, Windows are horned 12-pane sashes except 2 early C19 windows with crown glass flanking doorway within portico. 4 roof dormers with pediments. Interior has wealth of early and later C19 panelling, oak and mahogany doors, window shutters, plaster ceiling cornices and bands. West entrance hall has panelled walls and plastered ceiling divided into 6 panels with 2 shell roses. Doorway leading from entrance hall to stair hall is flanked by 2 Doric columns. Oak panelled stair hall with lantern over has open-well open-string stair with iron balusters, some with trailing vine and rose decoration. Guilloche moulded bands under stair, and fine plaster ceiling cornices, with that under lantern enriched with egg and dart. Stair hall is probably within walls of rear rooms of original C18 house. Front rooms of original house adjoin but remodelled in early C19 with dado panelling to both rooms. West room has acanthus cornice and trailing harvest ceiling band. Marble fireplace surround may be reused from C18. New library, formerly dining room, to east of original house, has chimney piece and door cases with enriched pulvinated friezes, cornices with dentils and other detail all in mid-C18 style possibly inspired by original decoration that had survived in the C18 house until then. Drawing room to west of original house has much fine detail including deeply coved cornice and band, mahogany doors with fluted friezes over, and fine marble chimney piece with caryatids. Circa 1880 silk coverings with stylized plant design within panels surrounding room. Library, to north of entrance hall has deeply coved ceiling with double tiers of acanthus leaves, and bead decoration to window shutter panels. Further good detail to first floor rooms. Room over west room of original house and adjoining dressing room have possibly original mid C18 ceiling cornices and therefore retain evidence of the original plan of the house ie. with entrance passage originally under the dressing room. Adjoining granite coped walling surrounding rear service area and low coped walls before front. Much historical and other information kindly supplied by Mr Copeland, present occupier. Trelissick is a complicated house with accretions cunningly absorbed to give the appearance of being original and of one period. Very complete early C19 interiors.
Trelissick Gardens overlook the open expanse of Carrick Roads (Falmouth Harbour). Trelissick Garden is now in the care of the National Trust. The property includes an extensive park and there are woodland walks beside the river. There is also an Art and Craft gallery. It is one of the finest maritime views in Cornwall. This is a young garden, which has been planted with masses of Hydrangeas, Rhododendrons, Camellias, and is surrounded by sweeping parkland and woods. Walks may be enjoyed here all year round.
The estate is right at the head of the River Fal estuary, with panoramic views over the estuary, extensive park and woodland walks beside the river. At the centre of the estate is the garden, which has year-round colour, with the the spring blossom being particularly noteworthy.
Around 1825 Thomas Daniell planted woodland along the shores of the estuary and the carriage drives were laid out in the park. Between 1844 and 1913 the estate was owned by the Gilbert family who improved the grounds, and planted ornamental woodlands and many of the tall holm oaks and conifers http://www.theleisureguide.co.uk/upload_files/photo_976.jpg in the garden. The garden as seen today was largely created by Mr and Mrs Ronald Copeland after Mrs Copeland inherited Trelissick in 1937.
In about 1750 a comparatively small two-storey villa was built at Trelissick on the foundations of an earlier building. This house was then remodelled in 1825 by Thomas Daniell whose father had bought the estate in 1800. He used the architect Peter Frederick Robinson to add the columned portico which rises to the height of the south front. Daniell's money came from mining interests in Cornwall. From the house (not open to the public) and drive there are splendid views across a great sweep of grass to the Carrick Roads. On clear days Pendennis Castle can be seen in the far distance.
When the Pevsner toured the country in the mid 20th century to report on all prominent buildings, he commented on Trelissick House."The most severe neo-classical Greek Mansion in Cornwall."
The garden itself does not offer extensive views, as the sub-tropical plants need to be protected from the prevailing winds. Mrs Copeland planted the garden with a great range of rhododendrons and azaleas. There are also hydrangeas, camellias, flowering cherries, magnolias, eucalyptus, maples and exotic plants such as the ginkgo and many palm trees.
Trelissick has an intimate feel with many changes of level and perspective and the winding paths, shaded by great holm oaks and beeches, will open suddenly into areas of grass.
The Lodge Building
The pedestrian bridge
The Water Tower
The Water Tower is now converted to living accommodation. Circa early C19, remodelled circa mid-late C19 and circa 1970’s. Slatestone rubble with brick eaves cornices and 2 linked conical dry Delabole slate roofs with finial over smaller roof and weathervane over main roof. Plan of round water tower with round stair turret, probably a later addition, attached to east side. 3 storeys over basement plus attic. Stone walls appear to have been heightened probably mid-late C19. Original pointed arched doorway to south east beside stair turret. Original slit window openings to east side of stair turret. Windows of main tower are circa 1970’s enlargements or insertions. Except for slit window to south all windows are sashes in Gothick style with intersecting glazing bars. Interior not inspected.
Spacious lawns mould the character of Trelissick. The main lawn is shaded by a fine Japanese cedar and borders of summer-flowering shrubs and plants run along its sides. The sloping lawns, sloping down to the water, are planted informally with great cedars and cypresses, with camellias, magnolias, flowering cherries, rhododendrons and hydrangeas, a specialty of Trelissick.
The gardens feature walks through 500 acres of parkland and riverside woods. The walks lead to a summer house and a Saxon cross and then back to a raised drive. As you follow the paths different views will suddenly appear across the tree tops into the tropical dell, with its palm trees, banana trees, tree ferns, large-leaved rhododendrons.
The King Harry Ferry Road runs through the centre of the garden, and a narrow path and rustic bridge lead over it to the Carcadden area, a newer part of the garden. This area has lawns that feature informal plantings of cedars and cypresses. A more open a parkland atmosphere, with specimens of magnolias, camellias, and the ever present rhododendrons. A Cornish apple orchard has been established here.
The Feock Parish
The Parish was formed at a time when there was little difference to the local people, between the Church and the State. A parish like Feock usually formed around a village or other small community and used to be centred around the Parish Church. Today Church and State have separated but the same area is now represented as a local authority by the Feock Parish Council and the Church of England by the Parochial Church Council.
The Parish Councils have few major rights and/or obligations and are responsible to the higher authorities above them. They do however manage local amenities and have a watching brief on local issues and their opinion is noted by those higher authorities in matters concerning them such as local planning issues. The Parish of Feock and its council is responsible to the council of the District of Carrick and that of the County of Cornwall in which it is located.(http://www.british-towns.net).
Creek Vean House
The footbridge from the road to the house. Photograph from the water, Dr Ian Graymore
The RIBA plaque.
Creek Vean House was commissioned by the late Mr and Mrs Marcus Brumwell and jointly designed in 1964 by the now internationally acclaimed architects Lord Rogers and Lord Foster. Rogers and Foster have each been awarded the Pritzker Prize, the highest international architectural award. (JBC)
The house was also awarded the awarded the prestigious RIBA Housing Medal for the south west and was listed Grade II in 1997.
(Royal Institute of British Architects, Directory of Architects)www.architecture.com
In 1963 Norman Foster and Richard Rogers were struggling young architects, full of ideas - but with remarkably few jobs.
Their ideas emerged dramatically in their first built work, designed under the banner of the practice Team 4, in which Foster and Rogers were partners. Creek Vean at Feock, on Fal estuary, in Cornwall, was commissioned by Rogers's then parents-in-law, Marcus and Rene Brumwell.
The genesis of Creek Vean took place while Rogers, with his then wife Su, and Foster were postgraduate students at Yale. Marcus Brumwell, founder of the Design Research Unit, was looking towards retirement and hoped to either extend or replace the very ordinary Victorian villa that he had acquired at Pill Creek, looking across the Fal estuary.
Organic living: the view from the dining room at Creek Vean
Tumble down: Creek Vean is built on the slope next to the river
The Brumwells had always loved Cornwall. Passionate collectors, they had formed friendships with artists such as Ben Nicholson, Patrick Heron, Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore and wanted the new house to provide an appropriate setting for their fine collection of paintings, drawings and sculpture.
In a series of letters from Yale, Rogers gently lectured his in-laws about the virtues of engaging an aspiring young architect rather than a practitioner of the older generation. The Brumwells took the hint. In 1963, the newly-formed Team 4 was commissioned to design a completely new house on the steeply sloping site. The Brumwells sold a prized Mondrian to pay for it.
The key influence was Frank Lloyd Wright. Rogers and Foster arrived in America too late to meet the great architect but they undertook lengthy tours of Wright's buildings, travelling across the country "by thumb, by car, and by Greyhound bus". Wright's architecture was strongly organic, generated by the American landscape and in sharp contrast to the architecture of post-war Britain.
Grand view: part of the corridor that is also an art gallery
Back in the UK, Team 4 drew on Wright's inspiration for Creek Vean, which appears to be "dug into" the riverside site. The use of slate floors and exposed concrete created interiors rich in texture. The house's fan-shaped plan was intended to make the most of the views of the estuary, which were particularly spectacular from the top-floor living-room.
The heart of the house lay a floor below, where the spacious kitchen and bedrooms opened off a long, gallery intended to display the works of art. The garden at Creek Vean was a classic in itself, tumbling down the slope to the riverside, where the Brumwells had a boathouse.
The Brumwells loved Creek Vean and it became a gathering place for the extended Rogers clan, even after Richard and Su Rogers divorced in the 1970s.
Kenneth Powell is the author of New London Architects (Merrell), available for £24.95 plus £1.99 p & p through Telegraph Books. Call 0870 155 7222
Pillwood, Pill Creek, Feock
Architects, John Miller + Partners
vacations, with a plan that can be modified to suit varying numbers of
people. The site is one of outstanding natural beauty bordering on the
estuary of the river Fal.
The provision of two internal staircases in combination with sliding screen walls allows the house to be enjoyed in summer and winter months.
The structure consists of a tubular steel frame, with reinforced concrete floors. The external walls are of glass and G.R.P. polyurethane-filled panels, with neoprene joints. The steel frame is painted green, and the GRP panels are white. Background heating is provided by means of an under floor hot water system. The sloping glazing has retractable blinds installed to control solar gain.
RIBA Regional Award 1975
Refer to the website http://www.johnmillerandpartners.co.uk/feock.htm
Former Inn at Lane End
An inn, now a private dwelling known as Greenbank, was located in the upper part of the village at Lane End, La Feock. Its name was The Red, White and Blue and was known locally as “The RWB”. Later it was renamed The New Inn. The railway men from Devoran used to come by boat to Yard Beach between Penpol and Harcourt and then walk across the fields to reach it.
.(TR, using Feock Local History Group, Feock: Some Aspects of Local History, Part 1, 1973; and The Fal Local History Group, History Around the Fal.)
The St Feock Reading Room
The St Feock Reading Room owned by the Parish Council is leased to the club members for residents of all ages. It provides facilities for the playing of billiards, snooker and table tennis.
It is believed that the building was provided by the Tremayne family. (Tom.Rouncefield).
The Old Vicarage, the St Feock Church Hall
In February 1974 the new Feock church hall was opened; it was built on the site of the old hall which, in its turn, replaced the old vicarage burnt down in 1896; this was reported in the Royal Cornwall Gazette on March 5th of that year. ‘A fire of a very serious nature broke out this morning about 2.30. A messenger was at once despatched to Truro and the Fire Brigade was summoned....and by 4.30 were ready to start with their engine, but through some cause or other, the coachman was not called. This caused a delay of over half an hour and it was after 5 before the Bngade could get away. When they got to Feock they found that it was too late to render any service, everything by this time being burnt to the ground owing to the very strong wind that was raging. Great fears were entertained as to the safety of one of the children of the vicar but happily he was rescued uninjured. In less than half an hour from the time the fire was found out, the roof had fallen in. Mr Mermagen’s valuable library of 2000 volumes, the collection of a lifetime, was completely destroyed.’
The old vicarage is fully described in the Terriers, which were lists of the property owned by the church in the parish, sent at intervals to the Bishop. In 1726 it was built mostly of stone but with a ‘linney’ (lean to) and part of the back wall of ‘cobb’, the roof was of thatch. On the ground floor there were a kitchen and hall, both with lime ash floors, a parlour which was ‘planched’ (underlined with a ceiling) and a cellar with ‘no floor but the country’; in the linney were a dairy, a pantry, a little cellar and a staircase leading to a small gallery which gave access to ‘three little chambers all planched ’
By 1744 the kitchen had been floored with stone, part of the roof had been ‘covered over with tiling stones’.
(Feock, Some aspects of local History, Book II).
The Former Feock School, Listed, grade 11
In 1983 the Feock CCC village school closed
Average number of children in 1852 was 51 boys and 1girl. (Preliminary Statement 1853). The design of this school is similar to Devoran Primary School, qv., also by Pearson.
The Pump and the Well at La Feock
There is a local tradition that Saint Feock lived in a small hut near a well [which still exists] in the area named “La Feock” [also known as “La Vague”].
The pump is beside the footpath from La Feock to Pill Creek.
The well, not visible in the photo is in the shadow of the bushes seen beyond the pump.
The stream from the spring which currently feeds the well at La Feock emerges at the corner opposite Elm Cottage where it can be seen via a hinged grid covering a small brick built tank and is then piped underground to a tank in the Vicarage orchard and then on to the creek. It is quite clear that this stream originally ran down though the churchyard and its course down to Loe beach can still be seen in the garden of the “Orchard” to the south of the church. It would appear to have run under the present chancel which was extended when the rebuilding took place. The east end of the church had a drainage problem, probably from that old water course, until comparatively recent times, when a new drain was installed .The “Orchard” incidentally was originally known as “Erowe Gewe”, one of the lands given by Gentry in the middle ages, to the church, for the maintenance of the poor, but was sold off in the mid 1900’s and invested in the Unknown Donors Charities Fund. It is not difficult to visualise this amphitheatre, with a baptismal stream running through it and the ancient cross, as being a very early open air church. Also when the tower was first built in the early 1200’s, one can imagine it being possibly the first building of any substance.
(Extract, based on A History of St Feock, St Feock, The Saint, The Church, the Parish. C.D.North, member of the church council from 1992 to date).
The Old Post Office, listed Grade 11
The old Post Office at La Feock is one of the oldest unspoilt cottages in the parish; it was at one time two cottages. The staircase in the larger cottage was removed and access to the bedrooms provided by an opening at the head of the remaining stairs leading into a low passage under the thatch.
At the back the thatch sweeps right down to within five feet of the ground so there are only three bedrooms along the front. The sash windows are old and show irregularities in the glass. The downstairs windows have four panes each way but, owing to the low roof, those in the bedrooms are only three panes deep and not much above floor level. This feature can be seen in several old cottages in this parish.
To take the post box a small opening was cut in the front wall; this can still be seen as an alcove inside the house. On August 13 1844 this office was given its first Feock postmark. At that time letters were brought out from Truro by messenger: On September 18th a messenger resigned as he objected to working on the Sabbath, but the seven day service continued until April 1852. When the railway was built from Truro to Falmouth mail for Devoran and Feock was collected at Perranwell station.
The three fireplaces (F) were probably built as open hearths, the two end ones having been filled in to take modem grates, but the centre one still having a Cornish slab. Except for some necessary alterations and enlargements to the windows at the back, the present occupiers hav maintained the external structure.
(Feock, Some aspects of local History, Book IV, 1977 reprinted 2006).
Ferris Garage Limited
Ferris’s Garage Ltd, established in 1954 is a family owned business. It serves a mainly rural community from Bodmin to Porthtowan, St Austell to Falmouth. The firm was started in 1954 by Cyril Ferris who ran it until 1972. following his death. It was run for a short time by his wife until Brian Ferris took over In 1985. Tim Ferris joined the business after learning his trade at Mumfords in Truro. In January 1999 the firm became a limited company.
Tim Ferris has continued to expand the range of services to include breakdown and recovery for many clubs including the RAC. The garage operates a policy of utilising high technology equipment
Following a successful tender the firm expanded in June 1999 to a second site at Mitchell to encompass the growing breakdown and recovery work. In 2003 a tender for Falmouth was also won increasing the area of service.
The Schooner used as the Ferris logo/mark was built by William Ferris the great great grandfather to Tim Ferris in 1868 at Trolver Yard about a mile from Feock Garage.
In 1980 Tim Ferris was the mechanic in a two man team that took two Mini's around the world to raise funds for Save the Children's Fund Stop Polio Campaign. The trip took 13 months crossing the Sahara Desert and Africa the Amazon Jungle and South America and overland back from India. The Mini's covered over 60000 miles and were rebuilt in South Africa and Singapore by Tim.
Tim Ferris has been a very successful Rally driver winning BTRDA and Mintex 1300cc championships several times. He has competed on Rally GB five times winning 1300 GpN class on his first attempt by over 20 minutes. The team were affectionately known as the 'Cornish Fasties'.
King Harry Steam Ferry Company Limited
New king Harry ferry takes to the water,the seventh King Harry Ferry since 1888. It is larger, quieter and more environmentally friendly than its predecessors, and it is still one of the top ten most beautiful ferry crossings in the world.
The new £2.9 million chain ferry, which takes cars, lorries and pedestrians over the River Fal from Feock near Truro to Philleigh on the Roseland, went into service on May 9th 2007, 11 metres longer than the current King Harry Ferry, it carries 34 cars, (ferry number six carried 23); its low-emission Scania turbo-diesel hydraulic engines will not only propel the 400-tonne vessel across the river in less than four minutes but will also reduce current emissions by at least 75 percent; and its glass side will give its customers a view downstream.
There has been a ferry working over the Fal for more than 500 years and there have been conflicting stories about how it got its name. The most likely one is that many years ago, a small chapel stood on the Philleigh side of the passage (now all that remains is a pile of moss-covered stones) and was mentioned in 1528 as “The Chapel of St Mary and King Henry” and was built to commemorate the Lancastrian King, Henry VI, who was murdered in 1471.
Chairman of KHSFCL, David Hodgson said the need for a new ferry arose from a number of factors but the two most important ones were the age of the current ferry which meant heavy maintenance costs were increasing yearly; and the need to build a larger ferry to cope with the increased traffic in the summer months together with the ability to reduce queuing times.
The King Harry Ferry is one of only five chain ferries in the country and in Autumn 2004, was ranked one of the top ten most beautiful ferry routes in the world. The Independent newspaper placed it alongside other well-known and beautiful ferry rides including the Staten Island Ferry in New York, the Star Ferry in Hong Kong and Sydney to Manly Ferry in Australia.
The beautiful view is to be enjoyed even more on the new ferry thanks to a toughened glass screen on the downstream side and passengers will also be able to have a greater appreciation as to how the ferry works through a glazed panel allowing them to see the chain passing over the wheel which propels the ferry over the 250 metre stretch of water.
The majority of the construction of the ferry was carried out at Pendennis Shipyard in Falmouth with architectural advice from the award-winning Architects, the Grimshaw Partnership, the architects of the Eden Project.
Mike Carr, Commercial Director of Pendennis Shipyard said “Whilst Pendennis has been entrusted with the entire design and build of the new ferry, we would like to thank the King Harry Ferry team in particular, Tim Light and Colin Warren for their invaluable help and assistance. Their care, attention and involvement at every stage of the project has ensured that the new ferry will be the most efficient and reliable vessel of its kind in service. We truly believe that this new Cornish product will stand the test of time and live up to the reputation of her predecessor.”
One major factor in gaining vital Objective One investment of almost £1 million was its lifeline status for commuters living on the Roseland peninsula who save up to 27 miles on a round trip into Truro. It is also estimated that due to the ferry’s increased capacity, peak time and holiday traffic going through the city centre will be cut by five percent, reducing both congestion and pollution.
At the time the investment was announced, Carleen Kelemen, director of the
Objective One Partnership, said the ferry was considered to be ‘a much-loved and distinctive part of the commuting infrastructure of Cornwall.’ She added: “The investment in the new ferry will bring improvements for both tourism and business and meet the increasing needs of the local population. And it is sympathetic to the special environment in which it has always played a key role.’
The current four directors of the company all live locally and are able to take a close interest in the running of the ferry. They are supported by a first class operational team which ensures the reliability of the service as well as providing a friendly welcome to locals and visitors alike 364 days a year.
(Press release, KHFSCL).
Loe Beach, Feock, Cornwall
Loe Beach Watersports Centre
Loe Beach Watersports Centre is an established business that has been running for many years and carries a fantastic reputation for quality and customer satisfaction. 0The Watersports Centre at Loe Beach is situated on a private beach in a stunning location. The tranquil clear waters of the South Cornish Coast, combined with the picturesque surroundings, will make your experience with us an even more memorable one.(www.loebeachwatersports.com/)
The Truro River Rowing Club and Truro Gig Club
The Truro Gig Club aims to bring the sport of gig rowing to as many people as possible and has members from a wide variety of backgrounds with an age range of 12 to 60.The crews that participate in all racing categories throughout the gig season.The club is based out of Loe Beach, Feock where there is a great deal of Watersport Activity within the Carrick Roads, River Fal and Truro River Areas. Due to this location we are able to, and do train all year round.
Truro has been associated with Gig Rowing since the 19th Century. In 1836 J.Edwards and Co, Agricultural merchants of Truro commissioned the gig CIRCE to be built by William Peters of St Mawes. This was one of several professionally raced gigs of the time and one of Truro's present 2 gigs is named after her.
Although the exact date of when the original Truro River Rowing Club was founded is not known, early regatta programs dating back to the 30's mention Truro competing in races. During the 30's to the 50's Truro rowed mainly skiffs with the occasional visit to Newquay to row gigs by invitation.
Loe Beach, the future.
Loe Beach is a very special place to the residents of the Parish of Feock and also nearby Truro. Loe beach is the closest beach to Truro and ideal for recreation, swimming, sailing and water sports.
In the relatively near future holiday makers may well prefer to take at least one vacation a year in the United Kingdom and it is suggested by the tourist authorities that Cornwall is the first choice.
It may be prudent for the future development of Loe Beach, a prime holiday and recreation venue, to be considered.
The location is magnificent, facing south with fine panoramic views over the Carrick roads to the English Channel.